Sunday, September 14, 2008

Unit 3 Post

In the article titled A New Generation on the Horizon, Collins and Tilson discuss the characteristics of different generational groups: Silent, Boomers, Gen-X, and Millennials. According to the authors, understanding the characteristics of these generational groups can help educators design better instructional techniques. Collins and Tilson mention that individuals who were born in 1982 and later, fall under the Millennial category (p. 174). I agree with the authors statement that for Millennials, “the use of technology in everything they do is expected” (p.173). Since I am a part of the Millennial group, I can honestly say that individuals from my generation are constantly exposed to advanced technology. For instance, Millennials have become accustomed to using the internet, ipods, and video games. Also, I agree with the statement that Millennials tend to “lean towards math and the sciences rather than the humanities, arts, and history” (p. 174). For my undergraduate career, I enrolled at UC Irvine. Interestingly, a large percentage of students at UCI typically graduate from the School of Biological Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of Physical Sciences. A smaller percentage of students actually graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Humanities or Art. On the other hand, I do not agree with the statement that Millennials “will be conformists who can get any task done if given the proper guidance, objectives, and feedback” (p. 174). Using the word “conformists” makes it seem that Millennials are merely a bunch of “followers,” who do not have minds of their own. I firmly believe that Millennials are not conformists. Instead, majority of Millennials are strong-minded individuals who have the potential to become promising leaders. Moreover, Collins and Tilson introduce different methods of instruction for Millennials. One particular method of instruction that interested me was the progression of analog learning to digital learning. Analog learning includes “TV, video, tapes, textbooks, course notes, face-to-face light projection, slides and overheads. Digital learning includes conventional computer-assisted instruction (drills, tutorials, games); hypermedia courses, digital forums, multiuse domains, and simulators” (p.175). When I was an undergraduate student, I remember all of my biology professors would incorporate analog learning. They would use overheads for their lectures, make students watch biology videos, as well as require students to take notes and read the textbooks. They barely implemented digital learning in their instruction. If I was an educator who taught biology, I would have used digital learning as a teaching strategy. For example, I would compel students to engage in biology related projects that require the use of the internet and Microsoft Office. Moreover, I would have students participate in amusing online biology games and activities that provide digital images and animations. In conclusion, in order to enhance a student’s learning ability, I truly believe educators should learn how to integrate both analog and digital learning in their instruction.
References
Collins D.E. & Tilson E.R. A New Generation on the Horizon. Teaching Techniques. (3) 2: pp. 172-176.

No comments: